My name is Mattias Hellström and I’m the Chief Commercial Officer at Svitzer Europe. My team and I are looking for a new colleague to join us as Business Development Project Manager, where you will get an exciting opportunity to be the driving force behind new business ventures and key projects, in collaboration with our colleagues in other functions and customers. Our Europe Commercial team’s mission is to secure ongoing and new business for Svitzer Europe through offering strong value propositions towards our customers.
Svitzer is a towage company, which means we help our customers maneuver their larger ships safely and timely in and out of port. During the pandemic, it became evident how important the work of Svitzer is globally to ensure the smooth flow of goods and enabling of global supply chains. I look forward to sharing more about what we do in Svitzer Europe, and particularly how the Europe Commercial team contributes to the overall success of Svitzer Europe.
In the role of Business Development Project Manager, you will be responsible for identifying, structuring and analysing business development opportunities within Svitzer Europe in collaboration with our Cluster MD’s and cluster commercial managers in UK North, UK South, Euromed (Netherlands and Georgia) and Scandinavia (Denmark, Germany and Sweden) in pursuit of our growth ambitions in harbour and terminal towage, as well as other adjacent segments of the maritime and marine related industry.
In a hands on and wide spanning role you will be required to liaise with external and internal stakeholders to investigate, interrogate and develop business opportunities, soliciting key input from the business operations, industry, and all available resources. With a passion for knowledge, data and structure you will also bring a flair and ability to engage with internal and external stakeholders to own the business development process in Svitzer Europe.
You will report to me, and work closely together with commercial colleagues based in Denmark (Copenhagen), UK (several locations), Netherlands, and Sweden. You will be based in our Copenhagen office together with two other Commercial colleagues, and I frequently visit from my office home base in Sweden. As you can tell, we have a hybrid way of working where we connect in person if we can, or via Teams. Work-life balance is important to us, and flexible working is a given. You have the freedom to plan your time and deliverables in a way that works for you and your personal life. You will be encouraged to visit our cluster offices and ports to connect with local stakeholders, so expect some degree of travel once the world truly allows that again.
Our Copenhagen office is based at Maersk’s head office at Esplanaden 50, and Team Svitzer Europe sits on 5th floor with a view of the water, the Opera House and occasionally, we’ll get a visit from one of our tugs on the quayside right outside and have as chance to say hello to our seafaring colleagues. The office is currently undergoing a complete refurb to cater to a more modern and activity-based way of working, and we look very much forward to taking up work in our “new” premises once the refurb is completed.
- In conjunction with project teams, liaise with external stakeholders and customers to identify, develop, and secure new business or resecure existing contracts in Svitzer Europe operations
- Coordinate internal resources and external stakeholders for the flawless execution of projects
- End-to-end project management including creating business cases and financial memos in collaboration with the business, structuring and driving projects forward e.g. defining scope and objectives, resource requirements and allocation, proactive internal and external stakeholder management, risk management and ensuring technical feasibility so projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Management, analytics and co-ordination of various projects, including harbour and terminal towage tenders (new and extension), strategic growth projects and all other business development projects undertaken by Svitzer Europe.
- Liaison with all internal stakeholders including Finance, Legal, Procurement, Fleet, Operations, Human Resources and HSSEQ to ensure coordination of approach.
- Prepare new market entry strategy proposals and scenario modelling
- Prepare and conduct presentations (internal and external).
- Work with other like-minded individuals and conduct market research, build financial models and provide decision support analysis/advice on future investments
- Ad-hoc projects as required by the Commercial Team or senior leadership
We are looking for
- Strong Project Management skills
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a major in business, finance and/or business analytics
- Strong Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong experience in data insights, analytics, business modelling and reporting.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and mindset, challenging established norms
- It is an advantage if you have gained experience in an investment bank, corporate advisory firm or business development team building financial models, assisting on tenders, and providing analysis and key business decision support
- Experience with Think cell, and project management tools is also advantageous
Skills & Competencies Required:
- Demonstrated analytical and numerical skills with a high level of accuracy
- Strong commercial and strategic acumen
- Strong Excel modelling skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and influence internal stakeholders
- An engaging disposition, outstanding interpersonal skills, able to build relationships and foster growth opportunities with external stakeholders and customers.
- High tenacity and persistence to follow through on issues, able to work with ambiguity
- Self-starter with a strong personal drive to deliver and meet deadlines