Volvo Penta revolutionized boating 2004 when the first IPS was presented. Electrification and innovative new materials open for opportunities, and carbon fiber composites is interesting since they combine material properties that are better than metals, but with a higher degree of design freedom. We are hoping for the same advancements on our IPS as carbon fibers have placed upon e.g., bicycles and airplanes.
Thesis scope of work
The objective for this thesis is to make a study of carbon fiber composite design and technologies that potentially could improve the design and properties of Volvo Penta’s IPS. This study will focus on the lower gear house to maintain a reasonable scope. Fully understanding the IPS is also crucial when applying the ideas and make simulations to build the best combined technology add-ons in a balanced business case.
- Boat / vessel size 25-100 foot and designed for 20 years in service
- Speed map aiming at displacement, planning 20-50kn and fouling 30-70kn
- Volume scenarios 5-50, 250-500 and 500-2000 boats/year
- Scope out all possible advantag3es that the significantly lower weight might bring
- Investigate NVH improvements and technologies combined with CF-composites
- Intelligent sensors built/molded into the structure is also to be investigated
- Surface layer must be tough to withstand intensive cleaning and chemicals
- Surfaces exposed for cavitation must be protected or include a clever design that hinders erosion
- The design should be optimized for a slim design, still strong and durable
- A built-in crash function should be designed and simulated
- An interceptor surface should be adjustable and help steering the boat / vessel
- If possible, the composite should include an antifouling system- by light, galvanic vibrations etc.
- The design should include a semi foiling fixed wing structure:
Get to know and analyze the setup for benchmark. Information about this will be provided by Volvo
Penta, however most of the information is available in public domains and at external companies.
Design system layouts and compare combinations, based on demarcations select the most promising solution, simulate, if possible, perform physical tests and design a 3D-model
Detailed design of components, cost estimations, total system layout, simulations etc. providing a preferred material for a company decision.
Qualifications & Required Documents
- Master students Product Development, Maritime Engineering & Technical Physics.
- Knowledge of simulation tools and boat design Knowledge of fluid dynamics and composites
- Please send your application including CV, Cover Letter, and Transcript of grades.
- Practical information
Starting date: January 2022
Number of students: 2 students
Last application date: 1st of December 2021
Examiner proposal: TBD
Lennart Arvidsson, Product Owner IPS Lennart.S.Arvidsson@volvo.com
Björn Wessman, Innovation & Emerging Technology Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Systems & Components, Analysis department consists of 15 engineers with deep knowledge of
systems such as air management, fuel injection equipment, marine propulsion, piston and liners, oil
systems and cooling systems. The department work in close collaboration with other departments such
as CAE and new technology.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who works with passion, trust each other and embraces change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
Auto req ID
State / Province
Last application date