The climate crisis demands substantial GHG reductions from the maritime industry. If this is to happen, a major transition to zero- and net-zero carbon fuels and technologies will be needed. However, the pathways to a decarbonized future for maritime are not fully laid out yet, and there are several scenarios and pre-conditions that can take the development in different directions. We in DNV aim to be a trusted voice to tackle the energy transition within maritime and we need exceptional people to join us on our journey.
We are looking for highly motivated, positive, and visionary individuals that enjoy working in a team to impact the adoption of zero-emission technologies and fuels into the maritime industry.
The successful candidates will be part of the Maritime Program in DNV’s strategic research unit, Group Research and Development (GRD) where you will join an international pool of talented researchers covering a wide range of selected topics of strategic importance to DNV. GRD performs strategic and applied research for DNV focusing on knowledge development and technology demonstration through collaborations with academia and industry, providing thought leadership through external publications and forecasts, and creates scientific legitimacy to DNV services.
- Engage in research projects to build knowledge, competence and insights into cost, benefits and risk of future decarbonisation technologies and zero-/net zero carbon fuels as well as their value chains
- Relevant for position 1: Develop standards, recommended practices and associated tools for life cycle assessment of future fuels
- Relevant for position 2: Develop standards and recommended practices for measuring and verifying GHG emissions from ships and explore and demonstrate frameworks for real-time assurance of environmental compliance
- Explore and put to use digital technologies that will impact decarbonization of shipping
- Publish forecasts, scientific papers, non-technical reports and professional presentations
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand industry needs and piloting solutions
- Build networks externally and internally with key people and experts in the field
- Collaborate with top academic personnel and participate and lead multi-partner research activities
- A solid educational background, MSc or PhD level within a technical discipline.
- Passion for and insights into the energy transition of the maritime industry
- Proficiency in the English language
- Very good skills in Microsoft Office
- Formal competence on LCA methodologies, standards and tools
- Knowledge into zero-/net zero carbon fuels and their production
- Knowledge into maritime energy converters and fuel systems
- Knowledge into maritime abatement and energy efficiency technologies
- Sensors, IoT, edge computing and connectivity
- Data analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning and associated programming languages, tools and methodologies
- Knowledge within ship operations, the maritime industry and its regulatory regime
- Novel business model innovation
- Enthusiasm, energy, and drive
- Motivation to share knowledge as well as acquire new competencies.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to convey complex topics in various formats to audiences with varying professional backgrounds (colleagues/management/partners/customers).
- Skillset to work in a multidiscipline R&D setting with an analytic approach to problem solving - both independently and in teams
- Ability to work on, and in some cases, manage long-term projects
- Ability and willingness to build and maintain professional networks across business and academia.
What we can offer you:
- The opportunity to influence your own daily work with the freedom to explore and to be creative
- The possibility to be a part of a passionate, interdisciplinary team with a mutual responsibility to allow all colleagues, yourself included, to make a difference
- The opportunity to work for a company with a market leading brand that is providing state-of-the art research to the maritime industry
- Long traditions for a value driven culture caring for our employees, our customers and society at large
- A company with established management systems and operational systems – allowing smooth onboarding and daily work life
- Inspiring, social, and international work environment
- Great opportunities for professional development
- Flexible working hours
- 6 weeks annual vacation
- Attractive total compensation package
Whether assessing a new ship design, optimizing the performance of a wind farm, analyzing sensor data from a gas pipeline or certifying a food company’s supply chain, we enable our customers and their stakeholders to make critical decisions with confidence.
Our employees are driven by a common purpose: to safeguard life, property, and the environment. We help tackle the challenges and global transformations facing our customers and the world today and we are a trusted voice for many of the world’s most successful and forward-thinking companies.