Maersk is the world’s leading container shipping line, while at the same time undergoing the largest transformation in the Maersk Group's history and is reshaping itself from a traditional conglomerate to becoming the leading provider of global end-to-end container logistics solutions. Also, Maersk has launched the ambition to be carbon neutral by 2050.
We are looking for an experienced maritime lawyer with proven legal skills as well as a strong commercial and international mindset for a role as Legal Counsel.
We offer an exciting career in an international and dynamic environment with the possibility of continuous professional and personal development.
The Maritime and Logistics Law team is a section in Maersk’s Legal department currently consisting of 5 lawyers providing legal support to the global Maersk organization on a broad range of legal matters.
As part of our team, you will work closely with experienced, specialized and dynamic colleagues across the global Maersk organization.
You will get the opportunity to work with the legal challenges, be it contractual or otherwise, arising from operating a large fleet of container vessels.
The position is anchored in Maersk’s legal department located at Maersk's headquarter in Copenhagen with reference to the Head of Maritime Law and Claims but the position has a global reach and requires close collaboration with stakeholders in the global Maersk organisation.
At Maersk we value the diversity of our talent and will always strive to recruit the best person for the job – we value diversity in all its forms, including but not limited to: gender, age, nationality, race, sexual orientation, disability or religious beliefs.
We are proud of our diversity and see it as a genuine source of strength for building high performing teams.
- Provide expert advice on maritime law to the business
- Assist in vessel S&P transactions
- Assist in financial vessel transactions, such as sale/lease back and bareboat charter parties
- Assist in vessel fixing and post-fixture disputes
- Draft, comment on, and negotiate a variety of contracts and transport documents
- Manage use of external legal advisors.
This role is based in Copenhagen and As part of a truly global organization travel activity should be expected, sometimes on a short notice.
We are looking for
You have substantial experience substantial experience with maritime law and litigation. Your experience is gained by either working in-house with a shipping business, or through advising shipping and transportation businesses as external lawyer – or both..
- Have excellent communication and stakeholder management skills and ability to ensure high level of communication and alignment across the global Maersk organisation
- Work independently and stand by your decisions when challenged whilst keeping an open mind.
- Are methodical and thorough and have an ability to keep a clear mind in a busy and dynamic environment.
- Are a team player who can easily work with different stakeholders across functions and cultures.
- Have an excellent command of written and spoken English. Other language skills are an advantage but not a requirement.
As a person you thrive in a challenging, dynamic and often unpredictable business environment. You have a strategic and commercial mindset and the ability to make difficult decisions bearing the overall interests of Maersk in mind.